All you need to do is follow these simple instructions and agree to the Taste of Sound terms and conditions. Anybody can take part, all you need is either a smartphone, tablet computer or a handheld recorder.
1. Registering with audioBoom
- If using a smartphone or tablet, download the audioBoom app free from the iTunes App store, Google Play App store etc
- If using a web browser, visit audioBoom.com
- create an account
2. Making & uploading recordings using the audioBoom app
If making a recording using the audioBoom app, please be sure to include the following data and tags so that your recording can be found again easily.
The location and time of your recording are logged automatically so all you will need to do is.
- Open your audioBoom app
- Go to search and discover
- Find the Taste of Sound channel and click into it
- Hit the red contribute button
- Record your audio
- Add a title
- Add a description
- Add #tasteofsound as the first #hashtag, followed by any other tags you would like to use to describe your recording
- Add a photograph
- Choose a general category (if none apply, using uncategorised is fine)
- Click Publish
You can also use the Audioboom editing tool to clean up the beginning and end of your recordings.
3. Uploading recordings using a web browser
If you have made recordings using a handheld recorder, simply prepare your files and upload them to the Taste of Sound channel.
- Log in to your account
- Select the Sounds of our Shores channel
- Click on the record or upload underneath the channel banner
- Drag and drop your audio file into the ‘drop an audio file’ box
- Add a title of your own choice
- Add a short description of the recording
- Add #tasteofsound as the first #hashtag (followed by others if you want to add more)
- Specify the recording equipment you used
- Add a photo to accompany your recording
- Provide accurate location details so that we can pin the recording on the sound map for you
- click Publish
What to record:
We want you to record your favorite food sounds and describe them with simple tags and comments. Recordings can be as long as 5 minutes and at least 60 seconds. Make as many recordings as you like at different locations and times.
Please let us know the reasons why you chose to record that particular sound. You can speak these reasons at the start or end of the recordings or you may prefer to add them in the ‘Comment’ space on audioBoom.
Things to note:
If recording at your place of work, please check with your employer first, and be careful that you are not betraying any client confidences.
Staged or recorded musical or spoken-word performances are subject to copyright restrictions and should not be recorded.
Please allow at least 48 hours for your recording to appear on the soundmap.
Terms and conditions:
- Copyright in the recording will remain with the recordist in all cases
- Once uploaded to audioBoom, recordings will be available for unlimited listening through the Taste of Sound channel and embedding via the audioBoom widget into third party websites without restriction.
- Recordings uploaded to audioBoom will also exist on the dedicated Taste of Sound soundmap.
- At the end of the project, recordings will be archived under a CC-BY-NC license.
[These instructions modified from the Sounds of Our Shores project by the British Library]